George Town is developed over the debris of the first township
in Madras - Black town (demolished because of the skirmishes
between the French and the British).
Madras' first organised water supply is started with the
Seven Wells Scheme.
The Madras Courier - the first journalistic publication
in the city begins.
Parry lands in Madras and begins a career in trading.
Parry's is the oldest surviving mercantile name in the city.
And their Dare House, occupied in 1940, is one of the
most frequently quoted reference points for city commuters.
The Government Survey School commences in Fort
St George. This, the oldest engineering school outside
Europe, is now part of Anna University.
Wallajah mosque is built in Triplicane in remembrance
of Nawab Wallajah. Constructed without steel or wood,
this edifice in grey granite is also called the 'Big Mosque'.